NACS European Convenience Retail Awards: Frequently Asked Questions
What are the NACS European Convenience Retail Awards?
The NACS European Convenience Retail Awards recognise and promote convenience retailing excellence in Europe and provides retailers with the opportunity to showcase their innovation and creativity to the global retailing community.
Who can enter the NACS European Convenience Retail Awards?
Convenience and fuel retailers from European countries may submit entries. (Supplier partners and advertising, design and PR agencies are welcome to submit entries on behalf of their retail partners, but they must have the approval of the retailer for which they provide services.)
What are the award categories?
Convenience and fuel retailers can showcase their innovation and leadership in four prestigious award categories:
- International Convenience Retailer of the Year – This globally recognised award honours flagship stores that break new ground and set new innovative standards for the industry. The winner earns the accolade of “the best convenience store in the world.”
- European Convenience Industry Leader of the Year – This award honours the individual contributions of a European convenience industry leader.
- European Convenience Retail Sustainability Award – This award recognises a retail company that has pursued a significant and compelling sustainability initiative that creates positive social outcomes and produces lasting value for customers, employees and our industry.
- European Convenience Retail Technology Award – This award recognises a convenience or fuel retail brand that has made far-sighted, long-term investments in technology innovation to achieve operational efficiencies and/or improve the customer experience. The technology innovation must have a proven business growth model and sustained, repeatable results. The solution cannot be a working prototype.
Who are the judges?
Each year, the International Grand Jury is comprised of leading global convenience retailers, business and industry experts from NACS, subject matter experts, and representatives from the NACS International Board of Directors, which might include leaders from well-known retail brands such as FreshStop, Migrolino, Shell and 7-Eleven, as well as supplier leaders from Coca-Cola, Mondelēz, and BAT.
How are award winners selected?
The judges use a rubric consisting of the following criteria to evaluate each submission and select an award winner:
- Leadership and management of the initiative
- Customer engagement with the solution
- Impact of the initiative on organizational performance, financial performance or the customer experience
- Degree of creativity, uniqueness and innovation exemplified by the initiative
What tips should I keep in mind for developing a “winning” awards entry?
Convenience retailers, their suppliers or their customers are invited to nominate European convenience retailers that are pursuing noteworthy and meaningful business initiatives. In each confidential submission, the advocating organization should share a proven business case. The submission must include supporting justification as to:
- Why the convenience retailer deserves to be recognised
- What makes the initiative truly innovative and differentiated
- How leadership and management of the initiative is conducted
- How the retailer has demonstrated a company-wide commitment to the initiative
- What the impact of the initiative has been to organizational performance, financial profitability or the customer experience
- How customers have interacted with the solution
While fun, the submission development process can take time to complete. So, begin early. You will need to collect and provide photos and evidence that will make your submission standout from the competition. Keep in mind that only complete submissions will be judged.
See the Awards Brochure (PDF) for a full description of submission requirements.
What are the award submission deadlines?
For the NACS European Convenience Retail Sustainability and Technology awards, entries are due Friday 6 March 2020. Each submission requires a brief PowerPoint presentation of no more than 12 slides detailing your initiative(s) and its achievements.
The NACS International Convenience Retailer of the Year entry requires the submission of video footage of the store, up to 20 quality photos of the store and a PowerPoint presentation of no more than 12 slides. To secure your spot, initial entries are due Friday 6 March 2020. Then, the deadline to submit video footage is Tuesday 31 March 2020.
Review the Awards Brochure (PDF) for more information on submission requirements for each award.
Are there any fees for entering?
There are no fees to enter the NACS European Convenience Retail Awards.
There are other industry award programs, why should we enter the NACS European Convenience Retail Awards? What are the benefits?
The NACS European Convenience Retail Awards program is recognised by your peers and partners across the globe for its prominence and selectiveness. An award win heightens your credibility as an industry leader and elevates your brand’s profile as an innovative trailblazer.
Whether you win or are one of our esteemed participants, you will receive unparalleled global exposure and visibility through trade, national and international media coverage. Winners will receive:
- Recognition in NACS and Insight Research social, print and digital publications, which collectively reach an audience of 50,000+ global retailers, and various industry trade publications to extend the news even further.
- International press release announcing all award winners.
- Free marketing toolkit, consisting of digital decals, store point-of-purchase signage, window clings, employee badges and high-quality images, to help you promote your award win.
- Recognition in the International Club at the NACS Show.
- The NACS International Convenience Retailer of the Year award winner receives: Complimentary 2020 NACS Show registration for up to 3 employees. (The NACS Show will be held 11 - 14 October 2020, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.) *Travel is not included.
- And most importantly, celebrating your victory with global retailers, suppliers and colleagues at the Awards Dinner in Berlin, Germany on Thursday 4 June 2020!