Convenience stores are in every community and often the only business open in times of an episodic event, able to provide food and fuel to those in need. Similarly, the Red Cross is a community-based network of nearly 270 chapters and 36 Blood Services regions that respond to an emergency every 8 minutes.
NACS is the first retail-focused association to partner with the American Red Cross to advance community giving in stores and assist in disaster recovery efforts. We are proud that our members and suppliers harnessed their compassion to donate more than $17 million for Red Cross relief efforts after the 2017 hurricanes.
Affiliating with causes, both local and national, improves a retailer’s brand perception with customers.
Publicly aligning with the Red Cross helps us change our story within the community. We hope that you can leverage the Red Cross engagement and donation opportunities we’ve outlined this year to bring focus to the positive impacts your business brings to the community.
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.
Red Cross Store Donation Kit for Independent Operators and Small Chains
The Retailer In-Store toolkit provides materials for display for donation collection in your store(s). This pre-assembled kit is designed for chains and owners with fewer than 10 stores, including independent operators. Orders are limited to 5 kits per order. The kit and shipping is free for retailers. Order today!
Each kit contains the following NACS/Red Cross branded items and is designed for use in one store:
- Engaging Employees in Partnership Activation Handbook (1)
- Point of Purchase Signs (2 per kit)
- Barcodes/UPC codes for each register (2 per kit)
- Employee Buttons (2 per kit)
- Customer donation forms for display (200 per kit)
- Marketing Collateral Signage
You must sign a fundraising agreement with the American Red Cross before completing the order. Processing and shipping will take approximately one week from the date of order. **The first 20 company orders placed will receive reward incentives from the Red Cross. You will receive an email with more information if you qualify.
Create a Co-Branded Custom Donation Campaign for Larger Operators
Because of our partnership, the Red Cross has assigned a dedicated relationship manager to easily work with our industry’s larger members (10+ stores) to design and coordinate an in-store program with custom co-branded materials. You will be connected directly with the Red Cross to choose from a catalog of available items to obtain expedited artwork for co-branded materials. You will also receive marketing support and campaign incentives from the Red Cross.
Contact NACS Director of Strategic Initiatives Carolyn Schnare at email@example.com to get started.
Other Ways to Get Involved
The Red Cross depends on local chapters to execute its mission. Click here to locate your nearest chapter. Together, we’ve identified ways for retailers to support Red Cross services to your local communities. Donate Supplies: Much-needed relief items like water, snacks and fuel after a disaster are scarce.
- Donate Your Lot Space: During the time of a large-scale disaster in the immediate area, stores with large parking lots could serve as a volunteer staging area.
- Rallying Point: Serve as a rallying point for volunteers during a disaster or planned activity.
- Reward Volunteers: Provide free coupon or food to volunteer workers who present their Red Cross IDs.
- Host a Blood Drive: Red Cross collects 45% of the blood used by hospitals. Convenience stores could host a bloodmobile in the parking lot and provide rewards to those who participate.
- Co-brand with the Red Cross on a program to donate a portion of sales of that item (25 cents per cup of coffee, drink, etc. is donated to the Red Cross)
Be sure to communicate with the local chapter so volunteers are aware and so you receive permissions to use the Red Cross logo, if necessary. To obtain expedited logo-use permission through the Red Cross, contact Carolyn Schnare at firstname.lastname@example.org