Today’s dynamic landscape requires agility, a balance of efficiency and effectiveness that can free up resources and fuel new growth. Success requires knowing where you must invest in technology and how to harness data to deliver targeted, personalized offerings and customer experiences—it’s essential to winning trips and edging out the competition.
What’s next and how can you get there faster? For more than 50 years, the convenience and fuel retailing industry has relied on the NACS State of the Industry Report® to answer this question and more. This report will help you:
- Understand the ‘big picture’ with data and analysis on economic, market and shopper dynamics.
- Maximize effectiveness and profitability with insider access to aggregate financial, operational and category data from more than 27,000 convenience stores across the United States.
- Benchmark against top performers in the industry and determine key drivers to their success.
- The Convenience Shopper – Provides valuable consumer insights from NACS Convenience Voices service
- Regional Performance – Comprehensive regional data is available again in this year’s digital report
- Industry Overview – Highlights critical findings and actionable recommendations from veteran industry analysts
- Data Visualizations – Get the insights you need at-a-glance with compelling charts, graphs and tables that illustrate key trends and patterns
- Category Studies – Deep dive into mainline and subcategory performance data across a broad spectrum, including motor fuels, grocery, tobacco, foodservice and more
- Convenience & Fuel Retailers: Stay one step ahead with data and analysis that saves you time and money. Get a behind-the-scenes look at aggregate competitor data in critical areas, including financials, store operations, merchandising, foodservice, fuels and more.
- Suppliers to Convenience Retailers: Streamline R&D resources with targeted insights that will help you discover your next big product innovation or development opportunity.
- Investors, Real Estate Developers, Appraisers, Management Consultants: Find out why investment partners and consultants like you are getting behind the $650B convenience industry and adding convenience to their investment portfolios. Get savvy quickly and accurately, with industry overviews, industry financial performance data and market performance comparisons.
- NACS/Nielsen TD Linx Convenience Store Census – Developed by Nielsen TDLinx, the premier source of retail/on-premise channel information, and endorsed by NACS, the Convenience Store Census offers universally accepted counts and classifications of businesses in the convenience and fuel retailing channel. Find it inside the NACS State of the Industry Report.
- Additional Licenses – Discounts are available for purchasing multiple licenses to access the State of the Industry data, see pricing tab for details.
- NACS State of the Industry Compensation Report Access License – A complementary piece to the NACS State of the Industry Report®, get the latest data and analysis to improve your recruitment strategy. Learn how the top brands attract and retain the best talent to accelerate innovation.
- Upon purchase of a digital license, you will receive access to the report through a DRM-secured PDF through your Convenience.org login profile.
NACS has compiled and presented performance data for the U.S. convenience store industry since
1969. Over the last 50 years, NACS has invested significant resources in its State of the Industry initiatives and has partnered with best-in-class providers to deliver insightful, useful information that will help readers maximize their effectiveness and profitability. All figures in this report, except where noted, are based on data submitted by retail companies participating in the annual NACS State of the Industry Survey.
The NACS State of the Industry Report® and all data therein is/are exclusive property of The National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) and contains valuable proprietary information of NACS (unless otherwise specified). NACS retains all copyrights to all content under 17 U.S.C. Section 106, and such content is protected by US and international law. The report and all contents may only be disseminated to those who have purchased the report and their employees who have a need for the information contained in it. Any reproduction, preparation of derivative works, distribution, public performance or display, disclosure, and/or use of all, or any portion, of the materials in any form or medium, including without limitation, posting any material on a website, sharing in a webinar or distributing copies of any material to customers, without specific written authorization from NACS is strictly prohibited.
© 2022 National Association of Convenience Stores. All Rights Reserved.
1. What is included with my purchase?
Purchasers of the digital report license will have immediate access to access the DRM-protected .pdf through their My Profile tab on convenience.org.
2. If I purchase the license to view the NACS State of the Industry Report®, can I distribute it to my peers and colleagues?
The NACS State of the Industry Report® of 2021 Data is sold as a secured, locked PDF file. All content within is copyright protected and cannot be printed, duplicated or transformed without express written permission from NACS.
3. Is the NACS State of the Industry Data Archive available for purchase?
No, the NACS State of the Industry Data Archive is not available for purchase. If you would like to receive a custom data analysis, please contact the NACS Research team at email@example.com for details.
4. How can I determine the status of my order?
Any questions on orders can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses will be provided within the same or next business day.
5. What should I do if I experience technical difficulties processing my order?
Please send an email to email@example.com.
6. Can I cancel my order?
Orders are processed in real-time in our shopping cart. Once an order is placed it cannot be cancelled. NACS will of course refund any payments made in error. Please send any inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Do I need an account in order to complete a purchase?
If you are not currently in our database, you can check out as a ‘guest’. Your contact information will be required for billing and fulfillment purposes.
8. Do retail companies who contributed data to the NACS SOI Survey get a complementary access license?
YES – please visit www.convenience.org/soisurvey for more information. The survey for the SOI of 2021 Data is already closed.
A detailed, electronic Product Description and sample Executive Summary are available upon request.
For more information or questions, contact:
Director, Products and Services
For questions about the data collection, custom data requests and report content, contact:
Director, Business Development, Research