ALEXANDRIA, Va.—At the start of 2020, tobacco dominated the headlines, specifically, newly issued federal guidance on e-cigarette flavors and the tobacco 21 purchase age. Then COVID-19 became a pandemic that’s following us into 2021, even as vaccination campaigns ramp up in the U.S. and abroad. Add disrupted supply chains, wildfires, hurricanes, political turmoil and civil unrest to the mix, and it’s no understatement to say that 2020 has been a tumultuous year.
NACS Daily has scrambled to keep readers updated on all of the news, from the first coronavirus-related guidance the Centers for Disease Control issued in late February to the latest COVID-19 relief package passed by Congress. Here’s a look at the top 10 stories in terms of cumulative pageviews for 2020.
- FDA Expands Recall List for Toxic Hand Sanitizers
The products contain high levels of wood alcohol that could cause death.
- Convenience Stores Designated as Essential Businesses
Homeland Security recognizes the c-store industry as critical workforce infrastructure.
- How to Handle ‘Carding’ During COVID-19
We Card’s president outlines how retailers can check IDs while enforcing social distancing.
- Convenience Retailers Share COVID-19 Plans
From sanitization practices to payments to pump-side delivery, c-stores are taking a proactive approach.
- Access Letters Identify C-Store Employees as Essential
Retailers craft letters for staff in case police stop them going to and from work.
- FDA E-Cigarette Flavor Ban Takes Effect February 6
Retailers must remove most flavors of cartridge units from their shelves ahead of the deadline.
- Cleaning High-Touch Surfaces at the Pump
Help debunk the myth that gas pumps spread COVID-19 by being upfront about your cleaning and disinfecting practices.
- CDC Updates Face Mask Guidance
Cloth masks are a voluntary public health measure; c-stores work to procure them for employees.
- Trucker Work Rules Temporarily Suspended
Drivers are crucial to replenishing essential supplies.
- CDC Issues Coronavirus Guidance for Businesses
Maintain clean operations, encourage sick staff to stay home and plan for an outbreak.
Over at Convenience Matters, the top 10 downloaded podcasts for 2020 are:
- #210 Clean Fuel = Happy Cars
- #226 Understanding the Art of Convenience Retail
- #223 The Future for Convenience is About Winning Trips
- #227 The Convenience Customer
- #230 EMV Upgrades Made Easier
- #214 EV Infrastructure and Fuel Retailers
- #222 Changes in Customer Behavior During the Pandemic
- #213 EMV: Ready or Not?
- #232 E-commerce When We Need it Most
- #225 Stories from the Field: Casey’s Julie Jackowski
Convenience Matters releases a new episode each week, and downloads by listeners around the world have now topped 200,000. With more than 260 episodes to choose from, the podcast can be heard on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Play and other podcast apps and YouTube and at www.conveniencematters.com.
NACS continues to compile and update resources to help the convenience retail community navigate the COVID-19 crisis. For news and guidance, visit our coronavirus resources page.