Sheetz, Cumberland Farms Make Top 10 Best Workplaces

Best Workplaces in Retail 2019 ranks companies based on employee feedback on trust and potential.

November 11, 2019

ALEXANDRIA, Va.—In an anonymous survey of more than 694,000 U.S. retail employees, Great Place to Work determined the 2019 Best Workplaces in Retail. The ranking is largely based (85%) on what employees say about their experiences of trust and reaching their full potential in their organization. The remaining 15% is based on the employee’s daily experiences of innovation, company values and effectiveness of their leaders.

This year, convenience store chains Sheetz Inc. and Cumberland Farms Inc. made the top 10. 

Sheetz, based in Altoona, Pennsylvania, has retail locations in six states and 18,291 employees. The retailer ranks No. 6 on the list, with 88% of employees saying Sheetz is a great place to work. Most said they feel that they are given the resources and equipment to do their job (91%) and feel good about the ways they contribute to the community (92%). 

A “What Employees Are Saying” shout out says “this company is like a family. Even though we are growing, everyone knows everyone. We band together through our struggles, and we celebrate our victories, together.”

Cumberland Farms Inc. came in at No. 9. In the survey, 85% of respondents say Cumberland Farms, which has 8,781 employees, is a great place to work. Employees of this Westborough, Massachusetts-based company say that they are treated as a full member regardless of their position (90%) and feel welcome when joining the company (93%). 

A “What Employees Are Saying” shout out stated that “we are all very motivated to learn and succeed. We care about each other professionally and personally, so it makes for a much better work environment. Coming to work and seeing the smiling faces of my other employees is a terrific feeling.”

Read more about the 2019 Best Workplaces in Retail results, including employee demographic and tenure data, online.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement