NEW YORK—This week, Nielsen Global Connect released its anticipated Top 25 Breakthrough Innovation winners for 2019, a list that for almost a decade has recognized innovation and global success in the consumer-packaged goods space.
According to Nielsen, a new product was launched in the U.S. marketplace every two minutes during 2019. The brands that made the 2019 list reflect a wide range of products and approaches that succeeded in making meaningful connections with consumers, an impressive feat within a crowded marketplace. In order to make the list, the products must reflect strong, distinct qualities such as mass potential, longevity, brand incrementality, category distinction and appeal toward a specific consumer target. They also should meet the criteria for all six of Nielsen BASES’ activation profiles. See the winners below.
The 2019 Nielsen Breakthrough Innovation Winners:
- Arm & Hammer™ Clump & Seal Slide
- Baby Dove, Unilever
- bubly Sparkling Water, Pepsico
- CAULIPOWER®, Caulipower LLC
- Dave’s Killer Bread, Bagels, Flower Foods
- DEVOUR, The Kraft Heinz Company
- Dunkin’ Donuts® Bottled Iced Coffee, The Coca-Cola Company
- Flonase Sensimist Allergy Relief, GSK Consumer Healthcare
- Harry’s, Harry’s Inc.
- Herbal Essences, bio:renew, Procter & Gamble
- Just Crack an Egg, The Kraft Heinz Company
- Just For Men® Control GX®, COMBE, Incorporated
- Kinder Joy, Ferrero
- Lamb Weston® Grown In Idaho
- L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Lash Paradise, L’Oréal Paris
- Lay’s Poppables, Frito-Lay North America
- Maui Moisture, Johnson & Johnson
- Mtn Dew® DEW-S-A, Pepsico
- OuiTM by Yoplait®, General Mills
- parodontax, GSK Consumer Healthcare
- The Red Bull Summer Edition, Red Bull North America
- RITZ Crisp & Thins, Mondelēz International
- RXBAR, RXBAR
- White Claw Hard Seltzer, Mark Anthony Brands Inc.
- Xyzal®, Sanofi
The growth and diversification of Nielsen’s Top 25 Breakthrough Innovations mirrors the shifting tides of today’s consumer landscape. Powered by BASES, Nielsen’s product innovation discipline, this year’s analysis proves once again that success comes in many different forms and strategies.
The report concludes, “Consumers encounter more than 30,000 new products every year, creating a fierce competition to capture their hearts and wallets,” said Jenny Frazier, SVP of Nielsen BASES. “With this much new news in the marketplace, there’s never been a more important time for manufacturers to find breakthrough success. The Nielsen BASES Top 25 Breakthrough Innovation list celebrates the absolute best of what brand innovators do to drive growth and shows us all what is possible when we pair a great idea with a great product and great activation.”