NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards: Frequently Asked Questions
What are the NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards?
The NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards recognize and promote convenience retailing excellence in Asia, Pacific/Oceanic, and Australia and provides retailers with the opportunity to showcase their innovation and creativity to the global retailing community.
Who can enter the NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards?
Convenience and fuel retailers from Asia-Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand may submit entries. (Supplier partners and advertising, design and PR agencies are welcome to submit entries on behalf of their retail partners, but they must have the approval of the retailer for which they provide services.)
What are the award categories?
Convenience and fuel retailers can showcase their innovation and leadership in four prestigious award categories:
- Convenience Retailer of the Year – Our globally recognised honour recognises the most innovative and successful Asian convenience and petroleum retail store of the year. The winner earns the accolade of “the best convenience store in their region” This award honours flagship stores that break new ground and set new innovative standards for the industry. All-sized businesses can enter, and entries can refer to broader initiatives or format roll-outs in a wider business. Successful entries will focus on one particular store as the central showpiece.
- Who will win: The nominated company who best demonstrates the success of a specific retail location from their portfolio. Entries will be scored across the areas of overall format innovation, technology installation, diverse products/offers, people development, customer service, overall performance and relevance.
- Convenience Industry Leader of the Year – Industry progress is not only driven by innovative companies, but by the energies, determination and inspiration of the individuals who lead them. This award recognises and honours the contribution of the most successful and influential Asian convenience industry leader of 2022.
- Who will win: The nominated individual who best personified excellence, dedication, and influence in the Asian convenience retail community from the past year.
- Convenience Retail Sustainability Award – This award recognises a retail company that has pursued a significant and compelling sustainability initiative that creates positive social, environmental, and/or economic outcomes that produce lasting value for customers, employees and our industry.
- Who will win: The nominated company who best demonstrates their sustainability strategy, innovation, and impact.
- Convenience Retail Technology Award – This award recognises a convenience or fuel retail brand that has made far-sighted, long-term investments in technology innovation to achieve operational efficiencies and/or improve the customer experience. The technology innovation must have a proven business growth model and sustained, repeatable results. The solution cannot be a working prototype.
- Who will win: The nominated company who best demonstrates their technology innovation, implementation strategy, and impact on the retail experience for customers and/or employees.
What are the award submission deadlines?
Award submission deadline has been extended to June 1, 2022.
Submit Your Entry
Are there any fees for entering?
There are no fees to enter the NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards.
What are the entry requirements?
||On Site Contact/Nominee
||Description of success in award area
||Powerpoint overview of solution or success
||High res photos of nominee or solution
||2-5 Minute video of nominated store
|Retailer of the Year
|Industry Leader of the Year
|Retail Sustainability Award
|Retail Technology Award
Who are the judges?
Each year, the International Grand Jury is comprised of leading global convenience retailers, business and industry experts from NACS, subject matter experts, and representatives from the NACS International Board of Directors, which might include leaders from well-known retail brands such as Sinopec, Shell and 7-Eleven, as well as supplier leaders from Coca-Cola, Gilbarco Veeder-Root, and BAT.
How are award winners selected?
Convenience retailers, their suppliers or their customers are invited to nominate Asian convenience retailers that are pursuing noteworthy and meaningful business initiatives. In each confidential submission, the advocating organization should share a proven business case. The judges use a rubric consisting of the criterion below to evaluate all submissions and select an award winner from each award category.
Technology & Sustainability Awards will be scored on:
- Leadership and management of the initiative
- Customer engagement with the solution
- Impact of the initiative on organizational performance, financial performance or the customer experience
- Degree of creativity, uniqueness and innovation exemplified by the initiative
Retailer of the Year will be scored on demonstrated excellence in:
- Format Innovation
- Product Range
- People Development (HR)
- Customer Service Initiatives
- General Impression & Relevance
Industry Leader of the Year will be determined by:
- Impact the individual has had on organizational performance, financial profitability, and the customer experience
- Influence the individual has had on improving the convenience retailing industry overall
- Demonstrated commitment to their community
What tips should I keep in mind for developing a “winning” awards entry?
- While fun, the submission development process can take time to complete. So, begin early. You will need to collect and provide photos and evidence that will make your submission standout from the competition.
- Keep in mind that only complete submissions will be judged.
- Prototypes will not be accepted.
- Your submission must demonstrate results of the store, innovation, or initiative – it’s best to have at least one year’s worth of data to support your entry.
- Your submission will be judged against the entire region, not just your country or locality. Keep in mind what neighboring countries may be excelling in already and demonstrate how you’re leading the region overall.
There are other industry award programs, why should we enter the NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards? What are the benefits?
The NACS Asian Convenience Retail Awards program is recognized by your peers and partners across the globe for its prominence and selectiveness. An award win heightens your credibility as an industry leader and elevates your brand’s profile as an innovative trailblazer.
Whether you win or are one of our esteemed participants, you will receive unparalleled global exposure and visibility through trade, national and international media coverage. Winners will receive:
- Recognition in NACS and Insight Research social, print and digital publications, which collectively reach an audience of 50,000+ global retailers, and various industry trade publications to extend the news even further.
- International press release announcing all award winners.
- Recognition in the International Club at the NACS Show.
- And most importantly, celebrating your victory with global retailers, suppliers and colleagues at the NACS Convenience Summit Asia!
Submit Your Entry