Easter Baskets to Brim With Products

Consumers to spend record amount for the upcoming holiday.

April 01, 2021

Easter Candy

ALEXANDRIA, Va.—U.S. consumers are predicted to spend an average of $179.70 this coming Easter, the highest figure ever recorded, reports Progressive Grocer.

According to research by the National Retail Federation (NRF) and Prosper Insights & Analytics, 79% of Americans will observe the holiday and spend a total of $21.6 billion, a slight dip from last year's pre-pandemic prediction of $21.7 billion. 

Driving the biggest growth in 2021 are Easter gifts, candy and food, with consumers planning to spend an average of $31.06 on gifts (up from $27.91 last year), $25.22 on candy (up from $23.30) and $52.50 on food (up from $51.76).

More and more consumers are getting vaccinated against COVID-19, too. As a result, many are planning to celebrate Easter by cooking a holiday meal (59%), visiting family and friends (43%), watching TV (43%), holding an Easter egg hunt (31%) or going to church (28%). Twenty-two percent said they would attend services virtually and 24% indicated that they would connect with loved ones via phone or video.

Candy is an Easter tradition that most consumers enjoy, according to the National Confectioners Association.

“Throughout the past year, Americans have looked to chocolate and candy at the holiday for a small sense of normalcy in a challenging time. Most consumers believe that physical wellness and emotional well-being are connected, and that enjoying the occasional treat can bring some comfort during the pandemic—especially at holidays like Easter,” said John Downs, president and CEO, NCA.

According to the Association:

  • 87% of people who celebrate Easter enjoy Easter-themed seasonal chocolate and candy.
  • Nearly half of Americans identify chocolate eggs or bunnies as their favorite Easter treats, with 19% preferring jelly beans.
  • 85% of Americans make Easter baskets and put chocolate and candy in them.
  • An overwhelming 78% of people say they eat their chocolate bunny’s ears first, with the remaining 22% split evenly between tail first and feet first.

For more insights on Easter and the confectionery shopper, check out NCA’s annual State of Treating research report.

The March 2020 issue of NACS Magazine explores how convenience retailers can leverage seasonal candy to snare impulse buys and build bigger baskets. Read how in “Tis the Season.”

Not a NACS Magazine or NACS Daily subscriber? Subscribe to NACS Magazine in a print and/or digital format to read the latest insights from industry thought leaders each month. Subscribe to NACS Daily to receive a roundup of industry news and trends in your inbox each weekday.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement