ATLANTA – The National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) recognized 11 college students who were selected as recipients of a $3,000 scholarship through the NACS Scholarship Program—one of three signature programs supported by the NACS Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
The students were nominated by a company official for their academic excellence, leadership and passion for convenience and fuel retailing. In addition to the $3,000 scholarship, each of the recipients received a stipend to attend the NACS Show, where they were recognized during a special ceremony on Thursday, October 20.
The 2016-2017 NACS Scholarship recipients, each of whom is currently employed with a NACS retail member company, are:
- Matthew Brien, Delta technician and customer advisor, Delta Sonic Car Wash System Inc., NY
- Daniel Brown, sales associate, Kwik Shop, Inc., a division of The Kroger Co., KS
- Chelsea Call, category and merchandising specialist, Ricker’s, IN
- Melissa Callahan, store development administrative coordinator, QuikTrip, OK
- Noah Cotton, network technician, RaceTrac Petroleum Inc., GA
- Briana Dolechek, shift leader, The Hub Convenience Stores Inc., ND
- Jeremy Fluegge, guest service coordinator, Kwik Trip Inc., WI
- Austin Frye, guest services leader, Kwik Trip Inc. #624, WI
- Matthew Hamrick, pharmacy technician, Giant Eagle, OH
- Susan Hathcock, training store manager, Clipper Petroleum, GA
- Jeffery Moreno, retail G/L accountant, Wheels of Convenience Stores, CT
Each year the NACS Foundation distributes up to 11 scholarships through its scholarship program in the amount of $3,000 each for costs toward undergraduate career education at a community college or university. Since its inception, the program has awarded more than $400,000 in scholarships to NACS retail member company employees.
The NACS Scholarship Program has a long-standing mission to grow today’s top talent into tomorrow’s top performers through continuing education and professional development opportunities. Established in 1991, the NACS Scholarship was created as a vehicle for retailers to recognize, reward and inspire rising leaders within their companies.
To learn more or to contribute to the NACS Scholarship Program, visit nacsonline.com/NACSScholarship
The NACS Show is the premier event of the year for the convenience and fuel retailing industry. More than 20,000 attendees from 60-plus countries are at the 2016 NACS Show in Atlanta, which features four days of general sessions, more than 60 education sessions and more than 1,200 exhibiting companies in a nearly 410,000 net-square-foot expo. For the most up-to-date news and information on the event, go to nacsshow.com.