IRVING, Texas—Busy New York City shoppers can now speed up their transactions at 7-Eleven, thanks to a new Mobile Checkout app, the company announced.
The app allows shoppers at participating New York City 7-Eleven stores to skip the checkout line and pay for their purchases using the new app. This frictionless shopping experience also includes the 7Rewards loyalty program, and customers will automatically earn and redeem any available 7Rewards points or coupons and take advantage of in-store promotions. For a limited time, New Yorkers will receive $5 off their first Mobile Checkout transaction.
Mobile Checkout works on both Android and iOS devices and is available for most 7-Eleven merchandise featuring a bar code. Some items still require cashier assistance, including financial services and age-verified products, such as alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets. All payment transactions can be made securely through debit card, credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
"7-Eleven continues to redefine convenience with frictionless experiences like Mobile Checkout. Our customers use their smartphone for all kinds of activities that save them precious time," said Gurmeet Singh, EVP, chief digital, information and marketing officer at 7-Eleven. "Now with the Mobile Checkout feature, customers can control their entire 7-Eleven shopping experience. Not only that, but customers can earn and redeem points on a variety of products when using Mobile Checkout."
7-Eleven said it is the first c-store chain to develop proprietary technology for a full frictionless payment experience from start to finish. After testing mobile self-checkout with employees at its Store Support Center store, the company piloted the concept at a handful of Dallas locations in 2018 to refine the process.
Using Mobile Checkout through the 7-Eleven mobile app is simple:
- Update to the latest version of the app or download it from the Google Pay or App Store to ensure it has the Mobile Checkout capability.
- Open the app in a participating store and tap "Get Started" on the home page.
- Scan the barcode on a product to add it to your basket. Discounts or promotions automatically get applied.
- Pay for purchases using Apple Pay, Google Pay or a traditional debit or credit card.
- A QR code appears in the app once payment is made. Scan the QR code at the confirmation station to make your purchase. A tone lets the cashier know a customer has used the Mobile Checkout feature to make a purchase.
7‑Eleven operates, franchises and/or licenses more than 69,000 stores in 17 countries, including 11,800 in North America. The launch of the mobile checkout app is another way in which the franchise looks to create easy and fast experiences for their customers as many other convenience stores are similarly looking into cashierless checkout