ALEXANDRIA, Va.—The non-profit Partnership for Food Safety Education (PFSE) has announced that a record number of partners—including NACS—have joined efforts to boost public awareness of safe food handling.
“We’re seeing great enthusiasm around the idea of the chain of prevention as a shared responsibility with consumers,” said Kathy Means, chairman of the board of PFSE and vice president of Demand Creation & Consumer Affairs with the Produce Marketing Association.
“Supporting consumer education through a charitable donation to PFSE is an important way for a company, commodity or professional association to highlight its core values around health and food safety,” she said.
PFSE provides consumers with science-based information through its website and supports a network of health and food safety educators, plus free community events. Each year, an estimated 48 million Americans are affected by foodborne illness, and some are at increased risk of hospitalization and potentially life-threatening conditions. Children under the age of 15 are the most likely to get sick from food poisoning.
The following organizations have joined forces to elevate basic safe food handling and hand hygiene practices in the United States (in alphabetical order):
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Frozen Food Institute
- Association of Food and Drug Officials*
- Cargill, Inc.
- Center for Food Integrity
- Chipotle Mexican Grill
- Conagra Brands
- Consumer Federation of America*
- Food Marketing Institute Foundation*
- International Association for Food Protection
- International Dairy-Deli-Bakery Association
- International Food Information Council
- McDonald’s Corporation
- Meijer, Inc.
- National Association of Convenience Stores
- National Chicken Council*
- National Grocers Association
- National Pork Board
- National Restaurant Association
- National Turkey Federation
- North American Millers’ Association
- NSF International
- Produce Marketing Association*
- Publix Super Markets Charities
- Refrigerated Foods Association
- Sysco Corporation
- Tyson Foods, Inc.
- United Fresh Produce Association
(*denotes a founding Partner)
For more information visit www.fightbac.org, contact Britanny Saunier, 202-688-3260 ext. 3 or email email@example.com.
On this week’s episode of Convenience Matters, “Keeping Food and Customers Safe,” NACS hosts Jeff Lenard, vice president of strategic industry initiatives, and Chris Blasinsky, content communications strategist, discuss the ins and outs of consumer-focused food safety with Shelley Feist, executive director at the Partnership for Food Safety Education.